Print

<div>China will provide Syrian military with 'medical training'</div>

china-will-provide-syrian-military-with-medical-trainingPublished in: Middle East

China says it will provide the Syrian military with "medical and nursing professional training," urging a political solution to the conflict in the Arab country.

In an apparent move in support of the Syrian government, the Chinese Defense Ministry announced Thursday that the military will provide training for Syrian armed forces on Chinese soil.

“The Chinese military will provide the Syrian side with [sic] medical and nursing professional training,” defense ministry spokesman Wu Qian said during a monthly briefing with reporters, adding that the mission is intended “to ease the humanitarian crisis in Syria.”
Wu said China had already been engaged in activities meant “to help reduce the humanitarian suffering of the Syrian people” by providing Syrian authorities with medical equipment and medicines.

“China has been pushing for a political solution [sic] of the Syrian conflict and we have always supported the independence of Syria,” he said, adding, “For a long period of time, China and Syria have helped each other.”
China has been a key supporter of the Syrian government since March 2011, when the conflict began. Beijing has also supported an air campaign by Russia against Takfiri terrorists in Syria, saying it would endorse any initiative that bolsters Syria’s territorial integrity.

State media said senior Chinese military official Guan Youfei was in Damascus last week to meet with Syria's defense minister. During the meeting, Guan urged closer military ties with the Syrian government, the report said.

The Chinese Defense Ministry announcement came a couple of days after a harrowing video surfaced showing a four-year-old boy covered in blood and dust after an airstrike in Syria’s northwestern city of Aleppo.

China's state broadcaster has questioned the authenticity of the footage. It alleges that the clip may have been faked as part of a Western “propaganda war” against the Syrian government.

Print

Iraqi troops in full control of Qayyarah near Mosul

iraqi-troops-in-full-control-of-qayyarah-near-mosulPublished in: Iraq

Iraqi forces have managed to recapture the northern town of Qayyarah from the grip of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group in their push to conduct a major liberation operation in the nearby city of Mosul.

"We control all parts of the town and managed, in very limited time, to root out Daesh," Lieutenant General Riyadh Jalal Tawfik, who commands Iraq's ground forces, was quoted by AFP as saying on Thursday.

The commander further noted that engineering units were clearing Qayyarah of unexploded ordnance and improvised explosive devices (IEDs).

The Iraqi troops launched the Qayarah operation on Tuesday, more than a month after retaking the Qayyarah air field,

Qayyarah, which fell to Daesh in 2014, lies on the western bank of Tigris River, some 60 kilometers (35 miles) south of Mosul. The town is expected to be used as a launchpad for the upcoming operation in Mosul.

Abadi hails Qayyarah liberation

Iraqi Prime Minster Haider al-Abadi also issued a statement, in which he described the Qayyarah recapture as a major move by the army on the road to Mosul, the last remaining bastion for Daesh in the north of the country.

He also congratulated the Iraqi people on the liberation of Qayyarah and its neighboring areas.

"Our heroic forces achieved a big victory, an important step towards the liberation of Mosul," Abadi said.

Meanwhile, Iraq's Ministry of Defense said the army's 9th division and the country's elite special forces took part in the offensive in Qayyarah, which was supported by the US-led coalition’s air cover.

The Iraqi army is gearing up for a major offensive in late September to purge Daesh from Mosul, the country's second city. Iraqi forces have managed to wrest control of several areas in the southern parts of the city.

Print

Rangers announce Rs5 million head money for Lashkar-i-Jhangvi chief

rangers-announce-rs5-million-head-money-for-lashkar-i-jhangvi-chiefPublished in: Pakistan

Pakistan Rangers Sindh on Thursday announced a Rs5 million award for information leading to the arrest of Lashkar-i-Jhangvi al-Alami (LJA) chief Syed Safdar, said a spokesperson for the paramilitary force.

The paramilitary force urged the citizens to cooperate with them in the search for Safdar, his accomplices and facilitators.

The chief of LJA is “wanted in several acts of terrosism”, added the spokesperson.

Safdar operates under various aliases, such as, Khurasani and Mowavia.

“If anyone has information about him, he should inform the Rangers through whatsapp, phone number, email or helpline,” said the spokesperson.

Rangers have also said the name of the individual who provides information leading to Safdar’s arrest would be kept secret.

Karachi operation

The ‘operation’ against criminal elements in Pakistan’s commercial hub was initiated back in September 2013 after the federal cabinet empowered Rangers to lead a targeted advance with the support of police against criminals already identified by federal military and civilian agencies for their alleged involvement in targeted killings, kidnappings for ransom, extortion and terrorism in Karachi.

A high-level apex committee meeting chaired by the Chief of Army Staff Gen Raheel Sharif on May 14, 2015 decided to implement effective policing and surveillance in the "vast suburbs of Karachi", to prevent what the military spokesperson said were "sneaking terrorist attacks"

Amid resentment and criticism from certain political circles over the ‘Karachi operation’, the military establishment in August said that there would be no let-up in actions by law enforcement agencies “to ensure a peaceful and terror-free Karachi”.

Although terror-related incidents have decreased significantly in the three years since the commencement of the Karachi operation, sleeper cells of terror outfits still exist in the metropolis and law enforcers have been making concerted efforts to eliminate the same.

Print

700 militants to leave southern Damascus in truce deal

700-militants-to-leave-southern-damascus-in-truce-dealPublished in: Middle East

Hundreds of foreign-sponsored militants are expected to leave a besieged suburb of the Syrian capital Damascus within the next few days under an accord struck with the government forces.

Seven hundred armed men will depart Darayya, situated eight kilometers (five miles) southwest of Damascus, to the northwestern city of Idlib, after they handed over their medium-caliber and heavy weapons to the army soldiers, Syria’s official SANA news agency reported.

The report added that thousands of male and female residents of Darayya would then be relocated to temporary accommodation centers scattered in Damascus neighborhoods and surrounding areas.

A military source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the army would enter Darayya after the militants evacuate the city.

Abu Jamal, a militant commander, said the evacuation would start on Friday and last for two or three days.

Jamal’s group together with the Ajnad al-Sham (Soldiers of the Levant) terrorist outfit control Darayya.

The report comes as Syrian army units have stepped up their clean-up operations against Takfiri militants both inside and around Darayya over the past few days, pounding terrorist positions and inflicting heavy losses on militant ranks.

Darayya has been under siege since November 2012. It has become one of the most heavily-bombed militant-held areas during Syria's conflict, which is now in its sixth year.

A convoy of trucks from the Syrian Arab Red Crescent and the UN delivered food supplies to its residents in June.

Syria has been gripped by foreign-backed militancy since March 2011. UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura estimates that over 400,000 people have been killed in the conflict.

Back in 2014, the UN said it would no more update its official death toll for Syria.